Blinded by the light

Tuesday, January 27, 2009
I am just figuring out this whole blog, widget thing and all the tools on how to make this site presentable and clean. Any advice is welcomed.


Growing up in the Lubavitchers system if I had to grade my education it would be an F. that is not to say there aren’t any bright and smart people but the education was bad. I’ll explain why; there are things that school must teach or must produce so to speak in order to be considered an education;

1) He should have proficient knowledge in 3-4 subjects.
2) Develop critical thinking skills
3) Develop speaking and writing skills proficiently
4) Creative thinking skills, problem solving and such.
5) Have grades where they are able to mark their progress.
6) Have peers to stimulate their learning.
7) Have a curriculum, so that you educators and the parents know you mastered the level before going up to the next level, marking your yearly progress.


Now these are basic, some are understatements some are overstatements but the general idea outlined here are very basic, elementary education if you will.
Now there are always going to be smart kids in school and not so smart kids. Some kids can learn quantum physics on their own; some cannot learn algebra or even elementary math on their own. So really to mark a school one has to look at the average child in his or her class and see whether they made progress or not.

Here is the thing. Most of my epistemological progress in life was that of my own. I have self learned almost everything I know. I have progressed amazing if I say so myself, but that is not a good education. I was never pushed by educators to go a level harder. Plainly speaking I was never taught. I pushed myself. When looking at the rest of my peers; the mediocre ones or maybe the ones that did not have the self control or ambition I had/have; they all failed, all of them. Most kids cannot write high school level in any language. They cannot speak high school level in any language. They don’t have basic critical thinking skills. They cannot write an essay. They fail in the most basic ways. Is that an education?

Comes along TRS and says you learn something new each time you learn a Mammor. Are you kidding me? Our kids don’t have fundamental thinking skills how are they going to progress? I don’t have any profound Idea’s in Chassidus; meaning I think it, I process it and it is stimulating but half the time I don’t know what I am talking about, sure I know all the “levels” but that is not rational thoughts, there is no independent thinking- critical thinking ,what I am going to disagree? I am going to say it does not make sense? And for your info I can tell you more about Chassidus than 99.9999 percent of Lubavitchers.

Anyway I have so much more on this topic; too much.

6 comments:

Just like a guy said...

Is that a picture of you?

As in, what do you want me to say? I have my opinion, you have yours, and never the twain shall meet.

Rationally pious said...

You like that line no?

No the pic is not of me. i am trying to figure out how to change it.

Yup we can agree to disagree.

Nemo said...

Um, if I remember correctly, I argued this very point with you just a few weeks ago. You responded that although the education sucks, people can ,and do, figure things out for themselves eventually.

So where do we stand now in that argument? Have you come to see my way of thinking? Can you somehow reconcile that argument with what you're saying hear? Am I totally barking up a different tree?

Rationally pious said...

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

People do. I think i am one of them. I think you are one of them too. but the question is do most? What is the percentage?

"figure things out for themselves eventually"

To what degree? would they have progressed much more with some sort of education? To me it seems hard to gauge the "what if" scenarios.

EndOfWorld said...

If you're going to set standards, you should do it correctly. Such as

1) Students will attain proficiency in all content areas, including math, social sciences, language arts, and science
2) Students will develop higher level thinking skills
3) Students will learn to read, write, listen, and speak for critical analysis and evaluation.
4) Students will be encouraged to assess, analyze and solve problem in both traditional and nontraditional manners
5) Students will be given opportunities to self assess
6) Students will be given opportunities for collaborative group work
7) Instruction will be systematic and based upon the needs of the students. Periodic assessment (both formal and informal) will be used to drive instruction.

But hey, no need to reinvent the wheel. Most of that was lifted from the NY state curriculum standards.

Amazingly enough, these are the mottos of the secular education systems....

Rationally pious said...

You are right.

but here are the modifications;
we are religious and therefore we can not learn everything secular.

Although all those topics stated in number 1 are basic and fundamental, they are not necessary so to speak.
Chemistry,algebra trigonometry. Same goes for social science; it is simply not needed. fundamental but not needed. So therein lies the problem; we have to sift out for our religious brothers the basic necessities.

Although i really think number 7 is not practical, unless the class sized get smaller or we learn how to asses and group like-minded students together.