Ramble On

Wednesday, February 18, 2009
I am not a writer; I have a hard time expressing myself. Communication was never my forte, so I am going to write how I feel and I hope you can make sense out of it.

There are emotions in life that are deep and subtle, covered up by many layers of our consciousness. There is an art to expression: chiefly avoiding over-expression, but at the same time to convey it justly. Maybe because it is so inscrutable, that by definition it is hard to articulate or maybe because we are muted by the intensity of the emotion that we lack the ability.

I want to go further, not only is it hard but it is inequitable.

We express ourselves through the arts. We try and do it justice; we try to avoid degrading it by mere common words. If you do use vernacular it lacks the romantic appeal, and in the end it does not express. We stand at the nexus of staying true to the source while at the same time giving it its due light.

Most people lack the sensitivity to understand this; they over express an emotion, it is the cause or the effect of lacking perception, lacking depth. They truly do not feel, and therefore they can express. So in the end it is not hard or unjust but reality, if you can see the bottom you are at the shallow end.

It might all depends on whether it is a subjective or objective emotion, but either way wordiness is not fair, it is not elegant, and not graceful.

What inspired me to write this?

Mumbai.

Reading all the reports and news and memorials, I came to realize that it hurt me; I was made to feel part of a PR campaign rather than truly feeling hurt. I came to think that the masses were made out to be TV viewers being sold a product “as seen on TV”. And they sell it to you by saying it over and over and over again, their goal merely to ingrain it into your head, so that you should lack the awareness to realize the product for what it is.

Do we have to do that to them? We have over-expressed it, and therefore we have cheapened them. Expression is a means to end, not the end itself. People forget that sometimes.

4 comments:

Nemo said...

I was sincerely hurt for the first week. Even seeing Rabbis Krinsky and Kotlarsky, I was hurt, and I think they were too. These guys are men like us.

Rationally pious said...

Hurt it what way?

Anonymous said...

"Communication was never my forte.."

I agree.

Rationally pious said...

TFM,

Arin't you James Joyce.